Deputy Grand Knight’s message — December 2013
My dear Brother Knights of Fr. Bonner Council,
We are now into the season of Advent, a time of anticipation of Christ’s coming to us, both in His original birth and when he comes again at the end times. Some two thousand years ago, Jesus was born as one of us, and in the most humble and unassuming of circumstances. The shepherds, who heard the Heavenly Host and followed the star to find Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, were no doubt filled with awe to be the first witnesses of God’s great gift to humankind. Could you imagine what it would have been like to be there at that place, at that time, to learn of the arrival of the Saviour, our great hope? Yet these shepherds only saw the beginning of the story! Little could they have imagined at that time that this same Jesus would go on to die for us and be raised up from the dead, for the forgiveness of our sins and for our eternal salvation.
Let us not forget, then, the real meaning of Advent and Christmas in the hustle and bustle of this busy season. Be sure to seek some quiet time for prayer to thank God for all the blessings He provides: our families, friends, talents, and treasures, but most of all for the gift of Jesus. Let us also re-member those who are less fortunate and be generous in charity to our neighbours in need, and temper ourselves to avoid overindulgence and overspending.
In seeking ways to become closer to Christ, consider some of the following:
- Come out to our general Council meeting on Tuesday, December 10, following the 7:00 PM Mass. The agenda is short this month, so there will be more time for fellowship after the business part of the meeting is done.
- Help us out with selling Charities Appeal raffle tickets — take one or two books of tickets (each book has 8 tickets × $5 each) and sell tickets to family members, friends, and colleagues. Proceeds from the ticket sales go to supporting charitable causes chosen by our Council.
- We will have Charities Appeal ticket books available for distribution at the Council meeting and before/after Masses on the weekend of December 14/15. We also have “Keep Christ in Christmas” buttons available for sale for $2 each.
- Consider taking on one of the many vacant Program Director or Council executive positions — it can be a big role or just a smaller role for now, whatever works for you.
- Come out to assist with meal preparation and service at the Marian Centre. The Knights are signed up for several dates and require several volunteers.
- Consider helping out in liturgical roles for Mass. Serving as a Lector or Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion will deepen your faith and helps out the parish. Training is provided.
Blessed Advent, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to you and your families!
Bro. Jeremy Sit
Deputy Grand Knight